Employers & Directors of Nursing
The responsibility of employers and Directors of Nursing is to ensure the systems are in place for the management of workplace injury and/or illness.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Overview of Roles and Responsibilities of key stakeholders in RTW provides information for the key stakeholders on their roles and responsibilities in RTW i.e. injured nurse, their employer, their medical practitioner, the RTW Coordinator and agent.
The Rehabilitation Model of Care for Injured and/or Ill Nurses in Victoria provides a framework for improving and streamlining the management of workplace injury and illness. Whilst there are Guidelines for Employers, Helping Injured Workers get back to work: The Return to Work Guide for Victorian Employers, these guidelines are limited in nature to matters relating to specified obligations of employers under the return to work provisions of the legislation.
The Rehabilitation Model of Care for Injured and/or Ill Nurses in Victoria provides a comprehensive model for rehabilitation and return to work of injured nurses based on a holistic, multi-faceted approach, and is targeted towards employers, nurses and others who participate and/or play a role in the rehabilitation and return to work of injured and/or ill nurses.
The model aims to deliver better health, rehabilitation and return to work outcomes for injured and/or ill nurses and their employers.
The model is intended to directly benefit nurses and employers by facilitating:
- better communication between all parties
- optimal recovery from work-related injury
- early, safe and sustainable return to work
- prompt resolution and minimisation of disputes
- reduced economic impact
- improved workplace morale
- increased productivity.
The following resources are available to assist employers and Directors of Nursing:
- Guidance on Return to Work Duties - “It’s about real nursing duties”.
- Brochure “Injured at Work?” Advice for injured and/or ill nurses.
- Training material for NUMS/ANUMS and Nurses in rehabilitation and return to work.
- Training material for RTW Coordinators, which is an extension of the current training provided to RTW Coordinators provided by WorkSafe Victoria.
- Internal vocational rehabilitation sample policy and procedures, and assessment report.
- Guidance material for Medical Practitioners on their role in rehabilitation and return to work.
- Guide to Nursing Roles and Employment Opportunities – “It’s my career: I’m taking charge”.